Career planning is a lifelong journey that will repeat itself over and over again. As you travel along the career path with your child, remember that you are his/her strongest supporter. Help your child navigate through the rough patches by providing encouragement at unexpected turns, pit stops and road blocks along the way.
Using The High Five Principles will remind your child the importance of following his/her dreams and will provide the courage to welcome change and the willingness to share problems and solutions with others.
• Follow Your Heart • Access Your Allies • Change Is Constant •
• Learning Is Lifelong • Focus On The Journey •
This guide, Looking at Life Beyond High School - A Career Planning Resource for Parents and Guardians of Teens, was made possible through funding from the Saskatchewan Ministry of Education and the support and vision of the Prairie Valley School Division Career Counsellor Team.
The handbook has been adapted with permission from the following resources:
- Career Cruising Employment Guide available online at
- A Career Development Resource for Parents: Helping Parents Explore the Role of Coach and Ally produced by the Canada Career Information Partnership (CCIP) and can be downloaded from their website at:
- Career Planning With Teens: A Guide For Parents, Guardians and Counsellors prepared by Loretta Morhart for the Prince Albert Catholic Schools Division. Guide is available online at:
- Lasting Gifts Workshop Series Becoming a Career Development Ally for Your Teen Facilitator Guide produced by the Canada Career Information Partnership (CCIP) and can be downloaded from their website at:
- The Career Planning activity book entitled, Your Future Your Way, developed by the Saskatoon Industry-Education Council (SIEC). Guide is available online at:
Written in 2011 by J. Bieber, Itinerant Career Counsellor, Prairie Valley School Division.