Position: Director of Education (Full-Time)
Organization: Prairie Valley School Division
Location: Head Office located in the R.M. of Sherwood 5 kms north of Regina
About the organization: Prairie Valley School Division is located in the southeast area of the province encompassing 27,000 sq. kilometers including 39 schools located in 32 communities serving approximately 8,500 students. It is unique in that it is entirely rural, consisting of towns, villages, resort villages and rural municipalities, including two Hutterite colony schools and fifteen First Nations.
Purpose of the position: The Director of Education is the Chief Executive Officer of the School Division, providing leadership, direction and vision to develop and sustain a high-performing organization focused on creating opportunities and supporting achievement for all students and overseeing the business operations of the school division in accordance with legislation, regulations, Board policies and Ministry of Education requirements.
Reports to: The Prairie Valley School Division Board of Education
Direct Reports: Members of the Senior Leadership Team
Key Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Provide executive support and information to the Board by establishing and maintaining a positive and respectful relationship based on open and regular communication;
- Lead the development and maintenance of annual budgeting, planning, policy development, and program activities and align work effort throughout the organization;
- Foster and maintain community and professional relations with Board members, staff, parents, students, the Ministry of Education, the media, and other sector stakeholders;
- Set standards, implement, and monitor safe and productive learning environments and cohesive frameworks for instructional and assessment practices that supports student well-being, growth, and achievement;
- Oversee the design, implementation, resourcing and monitoring of student programming and services while demonstrating innovation and creativity responding to diverse needs of students and communities;
- Lead the senior management team in creating a dynamic and challenging work environment that empowers and inspires staff in support of the school division, ensuring sound personnel processes are in place while supporting effective and robust professional development;
- Provide financial management and oversight by leading, directing, monitoring and reporting of resource allocation within available funding that aligns with the outcomes in the school division strategic plan;
- Responsible for infrastructure management ensuring sustainable plans to maintain and renew the school division's tangible capital assets.
- Meet qualifications for membership in the League of Educational Administrators, Directors and Superintendents (LEADS).
- Outstanding knowledge of leading educational, administrative and modern management practices.
- Visionary, creative leadership with the ability to inspire commitment to high professional performance.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences – clearly, concisely and with agility and sensitivity in public and controversial situations.
- Demonstrated ability to delegate clearly and effectively (support/empower staff and hold them accountable for results).
- Ability to self-manage a positive work-life balance in a fast-paced environment with high expectations and encourage the same with staff.
- Ability to strongly encourage and demonstrate teamwork and commitment to collegiality, while encouraging a positive work environment.
- Ability to demonstrate positive and productive visibility and presence to schools and communities.
- Understanding of education in a rural and diverse environment.
In addition to the required qualifications, the selected candidate must demonstrate the following competencies:
Problem Solving/Creative Thinking
Personal Development and Continual Learning
Salary Scale: Salary is dependent on experience and qualifications
Prairie Valley School offers a competitive salary, benefits and pension package.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check as a condition of employment.
Application Guidelines: Interested candidates should submit their cover letter and resume demonstrating how they meet the qualifications and competencies by email to Janet Kotylak, Board Chair, Board of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Friday, October 5th by midnight.
Prairie Valley School Division Board of Education would like to thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted. All applications will be kept confidential.
Prairie Valley School Division is strongly committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that empowers all employees to reach their full potential and encourages applications from those who will contribute to the diversity of the Prairie Valley School Division.