The first school meeting was held on April 7, 1901 and elected trustees established the Milestone School District No. 595. A school was built in 1901 and opened January 2, 1902. It was located on Railway Avenue. With increased student population, a new school was opened April 1, 1907. The four room, brick school had 44 students. In the early 20’s four more rooms were added to the building and council approved a heating plant. The old schoolrooms were sombre with rigid desk seating, dark wainscoting, hissing and grumbling radiators, oiled wooden floors, transformed windows and doors, and tall ceilings of embossed tin tiles.
In 1960, two classrooms were moved and students were taught at the Legion Hall. There was a need to build a new high school. It was built across the road from the old school and officially opened September 20, 1961. Its 16,500 square feet included a gymnasium. In 1965 the first addition to the high school included two more classrooms, a library and a laboratory. In 1967, another addition was built at the high school and a new public school was started across the street. In 1968, the new public school was ready to open and grades 7 & 8 were moved to the new high school addition. The old school was being torn down, brick by brick, and a group of interested people formed the Save the Bell Committee. They took the bell from the school and built a cairn using original bricks of the school. The cairn was dedicated on July 10, 1971 at Homecoming. The bell currently sits in front of the high school. The summer of 2010 saw the school sign bricked.
Today, Milestone School has an enrolment of over 240 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12. Grades K-4 are situated in the Elementary School and Grades 5-12 are located in the High School. We are one school with an outdoor hallway!
The school colours are blue and white. The official team name is the Milestone Cougars, and we now have a Cougar mascot, “Cam” the Cougar.