Skip to main content
708 5th Ave, Box 10, Whitewood, Saskatchewan, S0G 5C0| 1-306-735-2550| Utility links
Whitewood School
Here to Grow
School History

The following information is extracted from the Whitewood History Book Committee's "Whitewood and Area, 1882-1992".

 

1886 - First formal school opened in Whitewood.

 

 1888 - Fieldstone school house opened for classes.
1905 - Whitewood has the highest rate of students passing grades in the newly-formed province of Saskatchewan.

 

1909 - A six-classroom school opens for classes on the site of the current school.

 

 

1914-1918 - High school enrolment drops drastically during the World War I years.

 

1935 - Whitewood School has the second highest rate of achievement in Saskatchewan.

 

1947 - Whitewood School District No. 57 joins the Broadview School Unit.

 

1948 - The first "Green and Gold" yearbook is published.

 

1951 - Whitewood School is demolished by a fire.

1952-1953 - Whitewood School operated out of various buildings in town until a new facility can be built.

 

1953 - New school building opens.  This is our current elementary wing and also presently houses Southeas Regional College.

 

1959 - An addition to the school adds a gymnasium (now the library), a library, a laboratory (Bio lab) and eight other classrooms.

 

1965 - The current high school wing is opened and named the L.M. Wilson School in recognition of a long-time teacher and resident.

 

1971 - School enrolment peaks at 639 students.

 

1973 - Industrial arts and home economics facilities are added to the school.

 

1975 - The current gymnasium, named for principal Richard Schmalenberg, is constructed.

 

1980's - Special education and teaching assistants are introduced to our school.  Computers also make their first appearances in our school.

 

1990's - The deline in student enrolment begins to be noticed.

 

1998 - Southeast Regional College opens its Whitewood campus in our building.  It is housed in four former classrooms of our elementary wing.

 

2000 - We welcome the new millenium with 265 students in our building.

 

20  -  The former Broadview School Division, Scenic Valley School Division and Regina East School Division amalgamate and form Aspen Grove School Division.

 

2006 - Aspen Grove School Division amalgamates and forms Prairie Valley School Division.

 

2010 - PVSD starts offering magnet courses for our grade 11 and 12 students. This involves students travelling to a different school to take a specific course. The magnet school is a specialized center with the staff, facility and equipment to deliver specific high school programs and courses. A range of courses is available to students within a reasonable geographic radius.